Makes 25 gluten free
Prep: 40 minutes
Nanaimo bars are a quintessential Canadian treat. Named after the town from which they originate, they are rich slices of goodness, with a chocolate and coconut base, a creamy filling, and topped with raw chocolate.
FOR THE BASE
50 g (1 3/4 oz) walnuts
85 g (3 oz) almonds
180 g (6 1/4 oz) medjool dates
3 tablespoons cacao powder
25 g (3/4 oz) unsweetened desiccated coconut
pinch of sea salt
FOR THE MIDDLE LAYER
225 g (8 oz) unsweetened desiccated coconut
3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
2 teaspoons matcha powder
FOR THE TOP LAYER
1 x Easy Raw Maca Chocolate Bark (without the toppings)
1. Line a 20 x 20-cm (8 x 8-inch) baking dish with baking parchment and set aside.
2. For the base, grind the walnuts and almonds in a food processor until the consistency of a coarse flour. Add the remaining ingredients and process until broken down; when pinched between your thumb and forefinger the mixture should stick together. If not, add a tablespoon of water and try again. Transfer to the baking dish and press down firmly in an even layer. Place in the freezer.
3. For the middle layer, wipe out the bowl of the food processor. Add the desiccated coconut and process until it turns into coconut butter, about 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the remaining
ingredients and process to combine. Add this layer on top of the base layer and smooth out with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Return to the freezer.
4. Make a batch of the Easy Raw Maca Chocolate Bark (page 164) and add this to the dish as the final layer, smoothing it out with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Return to the freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Slice into 16 bars using a heated knife to cut through without breaking the chocolate layer. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for up to two weeks. If storing in the freezer,
remove 20 minutes before serving (10 minutes if storing in the fridge).
Recipes and images from Superfoods 24/7 by Jessica Nadel (Murdoch Books) $29.99. Buy the book here.
Serves 4 • 410 calories per servingOn June 19, 2015
Serves 4On March 21, 2014
If you’re looking for the perfect guilt-free pancake recipe, you’ve just struck pancake gold. These make the perfect healthy start to a lazy Sunday. You’re welcome!On October 23, 2015
Serves 4 Preparation: 30 minutes, plus marinating timeOn March 3, 2017
This is probably the most famous lentil dish coming out of India – yellow lentils tempered with spices and the usual holy trinity of garlic, ginger and chilli. It has...On June 12, 2015
SKIN-GLOW SMOOTHIEOn February 10, 2017