The apples and caramel:
60g of unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup of brandy or calvados
3 tablespoons of maple syrup
3 apples (or you can use 3 ripe pears)
85g of unsalted butter, very soft
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of polenta
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 22cm springform pan. (It's a good idea to place the springform pan on an oven tray as some of the caramel might leak.)
2. Combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, brandy and maple syrup in a small saucepan and boil for 60 seconds. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange the apples and press them down slightly to level them.
3. For the cake, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until very smooth and fluffy.
4. Sprinkle in the flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt, and beat for 10 seconds. Pour in the milk and beat just until mixed. Spoon the batter over the apples and smooth the top.
5. Bake approximately for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place a plate over the cake, then invert onto the plate. Serve warm with fresh cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Recipe and photography from Celeste Vlok
Serves 6On April 17, 2014
After the success of ‘Joe’s chicken pie’ in my first book I decided to create an even tastier one. This pie uses smoked haddock, salmon and prawns and it tastes...On June 16, 2017
This is everything you want in a chocolate cake. Rich, bouncy and well rounded, with a chewy brownie outside, cloud-light chocolate icing and a dreamy chocolate glaze to top everything...On September 26, 2014
Something about this tea speaks to me. I have to literally hold myself back from downing it in one go. There’s nothing more delectable than a lavender tea after an...On May 9, 2014
• SERVES 4 •On October 14, 2016
Feeds 2 for a main meal, 4 for a starterOn June 13, 2014