If you are interested in writing then you really should follow Joanne Harris (@joannechocolat) on Twitter. She gives lots of helpful tips on writing and her ten tweets that she routinely shares are gems.
Her recent list of tips is all about writing a synopsis. Take a look ...
1.I don't know a single author who actually *enjoys* the process of writing a synopsis. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
2. But, for debut novelists, your first synopsis is probably the single most important thing you'll ever submit. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
3. If your synopsis isn't right, people are less likely to read your manuscript. So, take time to get it right. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
4. Your synopsis should be no longer than a page of A4. 800 words is plenty. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
5. It should give the basics of your story without necessarily including all the details. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
6. It should indicate what audience or age group the book is for without sounding like an advert. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
7. It should say where your main story is set, and indicate clearly who the protagonist is. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
8. What it shouldn't do is speculate about how popular it will be, or how your friends loved it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
9. In the same way, this isn't the place to explain in detail the circumstances of how you came to write it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
10. Most of all, what it should do is entice the reader and make them want to try the book... ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
Joanne Harris is the author of Chocolat. You can buy the book here.
Stephen Pym lives in Sydney with his wife Anna and son Daniel. He has a Palaoebiology degree with honours in Wildlife Illustration and has worked for many years in natural resource management.On April 9, 2013
Born in small-town Ontario, Kathleen A. Tucker published her first book at the age of six with the help of her elementary school librarian and a box of crayons. She...On February 19, 2014
Alexandra Cameron is an Australian living in London with her husband and son. She has a BA in Film and French, and a background in film and television production and...On September 24, 2014
By Sophia WhitfieldOn April 16, 2012
Less than two weeks after her defeat Hillary Clinton pays a surprise visit to a bookshop accompanied by her husband, daughter and son in law.On November 24, 2016
Jessie Cole grew up in an isolated valley in northern New South Wales. In 2009 she was awarded a HarperCollins Varuna Award for Manuscript Development, and her work has appeared...On August 13, 2014