If you are interested in writing then you really should follow Joanne Harris (@joannechocolat) on Twitter. She gives lots of helpful tips on writing and her ten tweets that she routinely shares are gems.
Her recent list of tips is all about writing a synopsis. Take a look ...
1.I don't know a single author who actually *enjoys* the process of writing a synopsis. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
2. But, for debut novelists, your first synopsis is probably the single most important thing you'll ever submit. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
3. If your synopsis isn't right, people are less likely to read your manuscript. So, take time to get it right. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
4. Your synopsis should be no longer than a page of A4. 800 words is plenty. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
5. It should give the basics of your story without necessarily including all the details. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
6. It should indicate what audience or age group the book is for without sounding like an advert. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
7. It should say where your main story is set, and indicate clearly who the protagonist is. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
8. What it shouldn't do is speculate about how popular it will be, or how your friends loved it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
9. In the same way, this isn't the place to explain in detail the circumstances of how you came to write it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
10. Most of all, what it should do is entice the reader and make them want to try the book... ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
Joanne Harris is the author of Chocolat. You can buy the book here.
Twilight author Stephenie Meyer’s first adult thriller, The Chemist, will be released in November.On July 21, 2016
Tippi Hedren, one of the biggest names of classic Hollywood and star of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and Marnie, tells her story of abuse at the hands of controlling director...On November 2, 2016
By Sophia WhitfieldOn October 7, 2012
How did you discover Jessie Hickman’s story?On September 13, 2012
By Sophia WhitfieldOn August 23, 2016
Last week we reviewed the fabulous Secrets of the Tides. We are thrilled that the author, Hannah Richell, has been able to join us this week to answer a few...On October 23, 2012