If you are interested in writing then you really should follow Joanne Harris (@joannechocolat) on Twitter. She gives lots of helpful tips on writing and her ten tweets that she routinely shares are gems.
Her recent list of tips is all about writing a synopsis. Take a look ...
1.I don't know a single author who actually *enjoys* the process of writing a synopsis. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
2. But, for debut novelists, your first synopsis is probably the single most important thing you'll ever submit. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
3. If your synopsis isn't right, people are less likely to read your manuscript. So, take time to get it right. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
4. Your synopsis should be no longer than a page of A4. 800 words is plenty. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
5. It should give the basics of your story without necessarily including all the details. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
6. It should indicate what audience or age group the book is for without sounding like an advert. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
7. It should say where your main story is set, and indicate clearly who the protagonist is. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
8. What it shouldn't do is speculate about how popular it will be, or how your friends loved it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
9. In the same way, this isn't the place to explain in detail the circumstances of how you came to write it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
10. Most of all, what it should do is entice the reader and make them want to try the book... ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
Joanne Harris is the author of Chocolat. You can buy the book here.
The Man Booker Prize ShortlistOn September 12, 2012
By Sophia WhitfieldOn June 30, 2015
Danielle Hawkins shares a Hawkins family Christmas traditionOn December 11, 2013
Belinda Bauer’s latest novel is a powerful chilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.On November 25, 2016
Calling all aspiring authors! Charity Norman will be joining us live this Friday August 9 at 1pm to chat about her latest book The Son-in-Law. You can start posting your...On August 6, 2013
By Sophia WhitfieldOn December 16, 2012